|No Good Deed|
|Directed by||Sam Miller|
|Produced by||Will Packer|
|Written by||Aimée Lagos|
Taraji P. Henson
|Music by||Paul Haslinger|
|Edited by||Randy Bricker|
|Distributed by||Sony Pictures Releasing|
|Box office||$54.3 million|
No Good Deed is a 2014 American psychological thriller film directed by Sam Miller and written by Aimée Lagos. The film stars Idris Elba, Taraji P. Henson, Kate del Castillo, Mark Smith, Henry Simmons, Wilbur Fitzgerald and Frank Brennan. The film was released on September 12, 2014.
An act from which you get no benefit that costs you. No good deed goes unpunished. A good deed will come back and bite you in the ass. Find 12 ways to say GOOD DEED, along with antonyms, related words, and example sentences at Thesaurus.com, the world's most trusted free thesaurus. The Good Deed Initiative is on it’s way to being a nationwide leader in social emotional learning. The Good Deed Initiative embraces all three aspects of a child’s world home, school and community. We address culture, diversity and anti-bullying. The programs helps children build strong self-esteem, positivity and develop good character. At GoodDeedSeats, we'll donate $5 from the profits of your ticket sale to a charity that you choose. Yes, you buy from us and we’ll donate to a cause that is important to you. We know you have a lot of choices for buying tickets online, so why not get tickets and give something back too? Learn more about how.
Despite negative critical reception, the film was a box office success and received two Image Award nominations, winning one for Taraji P. Henson's performance.
Colin Evans has been sentenced to prison for 15 years for manslaughter in the state of Tennessee. He is eligible for parole after five years, and during his parole hearing Colin claims he is a changed man and has been rehabilitated; but the parole board denies his release, claiming that he is not trustworthy enough, and is sent back to prison for another five years until the next hearing. On the way back to prison Colin kills the correctional officers transporting him and escapes with the van.
In Atlanta, Terri Granger is a stay-at-home mother. Her best friend Meg suggests a 'girls' night' to cheer Terri up after her husband Jeffrey abruptly leaves for a family visit, as she knows that Terri's relationship with Jeffrey has been suffering.
Colin stalks his ex-fiancée Alexis and witnesses her meeting another man at an outdoor cafe. Colin follows her home where they argue violently, resulting in him murdering Alexis. Later that day, Colin loses control of his car and crashes into a tree during a storm. Walking down the road, he notices Terri's house. He asks her if he can use her phone to call for a tow truck. Apprehensive at first, she decides to help him, and eventually invites him inside. Meg later arrives and is shocked by Colin's presence.
When Terri leaves momentarily to comfort her baby, Meg and Colin are left alone; Colin excuses himself for a cigarette break, but Meg follows him. Microphone monitor app. Colin suggests that he is having an affair with Terri, but Meg does not believe him. As she begins to call out to Terri, Colin quickly grabs a shovel and bashes Meg in the head with it, killing her.
As Terri returns, Colin tells her that Meg left, but Terri is suspicious, especially when she sees Meg's umbrella in the stand. Alarmed, she rushes to the kitchen to call the police, only to find out that Colin has disconnected all the wires and hidden all of her knives. Terri rushes into her daughter Ryan's bedroom to find Colin playing with her. As they exit the bedroom, Terri hits him with a fire extinguisher, making him fall down the stairs; she runs to get her children, but Colin has recovered. He tells her to put the children back in their rooms and reveals a gun. In a brief moment where she strikes him unconscious, she manages to flee to her home office and dials 911 for help. Colin recovers and discovers her in the office. She begs him to leave, explaining him that the police are coming and that his blood is all over her kitchen (because she managed to cut him earlier). Colin forces her to take the children into her vehicle and drive away with him. While walking out of the garage, Terri sees Meg's dead body on the floor.
Colin makes Terri drive to Alexis' house, and introduces Terri to his dead ex-fiancée. The high winds from the storm cause Terri's car alarm to activate; worried that the noise will attract attention, Colin ties her up while he goes to check on the car. Terri answers Alexis' phone as it starts to ring and is surprised to hear Jeffrey, who is calling Alexis to find out why she has not arrived at the hotel for a rendezvous with him. Terri realizes that he was not out of town with his father and has been having an affair with Alexis. She also realizes that her encounter with Colin was not coincidencial as he wants revenge on Jeffrey because of his affair with Alexis. Terri tells her husband the truth and has him call 911. She misleads Colin into thinking that she and her children have escaped. When Colin finds her, she attacks him, grabbing his gun and shooting him until he falls out of a window.
The police arrive with Jeffrey, he apologizes to Terri about the affair but she punches him in the face, and leaves him afterward. Sometime later, a much more confident Terri returns to her career and has moved into a new house with her children.
- Idris Elba as Colin Evans
- Taraji P. Henson as Terri Granger
- Leslie Bibb as Meg, Terri's friend
- Kate del Castillo as Alexis, Colin's ex-fiancee
- Henry Simmons as Jeffrey Granger, Terri's husband
- Mark Smith as EMT
- Wilbur Fitzgerald as Dr. Ross
- Mirage Moonschein as Ryan Granger, Terri and Jeffrey's daughter
Filming of No Good Deed began in April 2012 in Atlanta, Georgia.
No Good Deed was initially set to be released on October 18, 2013. In January 2013, Screen Gems announced the film would be moved to open on January 17, 2014, at the beginning of the MLK Holiday weekend. This date conflicted with another Will Packer-produced film, Ride Along, a Universal Pictures release that stars Ice Cube and Kevin Hart. For this reason, in April 2013, the studio pushed back No Good Deed's release date for a second time to April 25, 2014. Yet again, in early October 2013 (and giving no specific reason), Screen Gems for a third time pushed backed the release date of the film to September 12, 2014. Sony Pictures Releasing debuted the first official trailer for the film on June 12, 2014.No Good Deed was released on Blu-ray and DVD on January 6, 2015.
Good Deeds Day
No Good Deed was released on Friday, September 12, 2014. The film was #1 at the domestic box office over the 3-day weekend, grossing $24,250,283 at 2,175 North American theaters ($11,150 per theater average). The film was producer Will Packer's third #1 film of 2014, following Ride Along and Think Like a Man Too.No Good Deed grossed $54,323,210 worldwide.
No Good Deed has received generally negative reviews from critics. Rotten Tomatoes gives the film a rating of 11% based on reviews from 53 critics. The site's consensus reads, 'Dull, derivative, and generally uninspired, No Good Deed wastes its stars' talents -- and the audience's time.'Metacritic gives the film a weighted average score of 26 out of 100 based on reviews from 17 critics.
The audience for No Good Deed was 60 percent female, 59 percent over the age of 30. Filmgoers gave the movie a 'B+' CinemaScore.
|No Good Deed|
|Soundtrack album by|
|Released||September 9, 2014|
|Label||Madison Gate Records|
Screen Gems and Madison Gate Records released the soundtrack to the film No Good Deed digitally and physically on September 9, 2014. The 15-track album contains the film's original score composed by Paul Haslinger.
'No Good Deed offered a great opportunity to re-explore a style of score I had first developed for the film Vacancy; music designed to enhance psychological qualities in the telling of a story, in this case, a rather dark one. My personal preference for this kind of approach is to mix classic film noir elements with music, sound-design elements; sometimes alternating, sometimes superimposing them. The goal ultimately was to connect the headspace of the characters with that of the audience, to make the audience feel the threads of the story as they watch it unfold. Working off great performances by Idris Elba and Taraji P. Henson, this was a unique and rewarding project to be involved with!' - Paul Haslinger.
All music is composed by Paul Haslinger.
|1.||'On This Day'||Paul Haslinger||2:19|
|2.||'The Parole Hearing'||Paul Haslinger||1:24|
|3.||'The Accident'||Paul Haslinger||1:15|
|4.||'Leaving For The Weekend'||Paul Haslinger||1:14|
|5.||'Watching Alexis'||Paul Haslinger||0:59|
|6.||'17 Creston Lane'||Paul Haslinger||1:01|
|7.||'It Is All A Game'||Paul Haslinger||2:31|
|8.||'At The Door'||Paul Haslinger||1:21|
|9.||'Please Come Home'||Paul Haslinger||1:21|
|10.||'We Have To Leave'||Paul Haslinger||1:54|
|11.||'The Traffic Stop'||Paul Haslinger||2:49|
|12.||'Why Are You Doing This?'||Paul Haslinger||1:31|
|13.||'Your Girlfriend Is Dead'||Paul Haslinger||2:42|
|14.||'Fight For Life'||Paul Haslinger||1:24|
|15.||'Terri's New Beginnings'||Paul Haslinger||2:03|
- ^'Paul Haslinger Scoring 'No Good Deed''. Film Music Reporter. October 14, 2013. Retrieved October 14, 2013.CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- ^ ab'No Good Deed (2014)'. AFI Catalog of Feature Films. Retrieved 14 March 2021.
- ^ abc'No Good Deed (2014) - Box Office Mojo'. September 12, 2014. Retrieved April 23, 2015.CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- ^Blay, Zeba (March 3, 2012). 'Idris Elba and Taraji P Henson join 'No Good Deed''. Digital Spy. Retrieved January 10, 2015.CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- ^'Sony/Screen Gems Pushes Release Date For 'No Good Deed' To April 2014'. indiewire.com. April 15, 2013. Archived from the original on November 6, 2014. Retrieved May 12, 2013.CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- ^Obenson, Tambay A. (October 10, 2013). 'For The 3rd Time, Screen Gems Pushes Back Release Date For 'No Good Deed' - By 5 Months'. Indiewire. Archived from the original on November 6, 2014. Retrieved January 10, 2015.CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- ^Anderton, Ethan (13 June 2014). 'Idris Elba Invades Tiraji P. Henson's Home in 'No Good Deed' Trailer'. firstshowing.net. Retrieved 14 June 2014.CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- ^No Good Deed - Official Trailer - In Theaters September 12th. 12 June 2014 – via YouTube.
- ^'Surprise Box Office Hit 'No Good Deed' Coming to Blu-Ray DVD in January'. Indiewire. November 4, 2014. Archived from the original on March 28, 2015. Retrieved January 10, 2015.CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- ^ abSubers, Ray (September 14, 2014). 'Weekend Report: 'No Good Deed' Succeeds, 'Guardians' Passes $300 Million'. Box Office Mojo. Retrieved January 10, 2015.CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- ^Clark, Trent (September 15, 2014). 'Will Packer Scores Third #1 Movie of 2014 With No Good Deed'. Hip-Hop Wired. Retrieved January 10, 2015.CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- ^'No Good Deed'. Rotten Tomatoes. Flixster. Retrieved December 30, 2014.CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- ^'No Good Deed Reviews'. Metacritic. CBS Interactive. Retrieved December 30, 2014.CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- ^'No Good Deed Soundtrack List'. Soundtrack Mania. September 9, 2014. Retrieved January 10, 2015.CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- ^''No Good Deed' Soundtrack Details'. Film Music Reporter. September 8, 2014. Retrieved January 10, 2015.CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- ^'No Good Deed Soundtrack (2014)'. Soundtrack.Net. Retrieved January 10, 2015.CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- ^Obenson, Tambay A. (September 9, 2014). 'Exclusive: The 'No Good Deed' Soundtrack Is Out Today. Listen to One of Its Tracks'. Indiewire. Retrieved January 10, 2015.CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- Official page on Tumblr
- No Good Deed at IMDb
- No Good Deed at Box Office Mojo